- Rochester Institute of Technology, Rochester, NY: MFA, 2011
- Rhode Island School of Design, Providence, RI: BFA, 2008, graduated with honors
- Rhode Island School of Design, Providence, RI: concentration in History, Philosophy, & Social Science
- NyckelviksSkolan, Stockholm, Sweden: One-Year Art, Craft, and Design Program, 2004
Exhibitions & Awards
Cross-Disciplinary and Collaborative
- Attacca Quartet: East Alabama Arts Association, Auburn, AL, 2014: Designed & created projection imagery for the stage during performance of works by John Adams.
- FuturPointe Dance: Fringe Festival, Rochester, NY, 2013: Created projected imagery for a live performance.
- Respond: The Yards, Rochester, NY, 2012: Collaborated with sound artists to create a multidisciplinary performance curated by John Lake.
- Hunting Stories: Rochester, NY, 2012: Created album artwork released with new single.
- Society for Freshwater Science: RISD Nature Lab / RI Convention Center, 2011, Worked with environmental researchers to exhibit artwork at a national conference on sustainability and resource management.
- Music of Difference: 2011: Generated album artwork and related designs for the ﬁrst Music of Difference recording featuring music by Robert J. Bradshaw, Aaron Alon, and Angelique Poteat.
- Music of Difference: The Kennedy Center, Washington, DC, 2010: Collaborated with musicians and composers to bring a multidisciplinary program.
- National Technical Institute for the Deaf: Sleeping Beauty: 2010: Collaborated with students and faculty to design and construct sets and props for a multimedia production choreographed by Thomas Warﬁeld.
- Boyd/Goluses Duo- Visual Art Director: 2010: Produced graphic layout and managed visuals for the recording Quicksilver: Songs and Dances of the Americas by Bonita Boyd & Nicholas Goluses.
- Yo Yo Ma's Silk Road Project: Lincoln Center, New York, New York, 2009: Designed & created the multi-media set for the premier of the opera Layla & Majnun. (Also gave related lectures at RISD and SUNY Binghamton in March of 2009).
- Yo Yo Ma’s Silk Road Project: Visual Art Director: 2009: Managed the creation of a 32-page booklet and related designs for the album Off the Map, which was nominated for a Grammy in 2010.
- The Knights Orchestra: Visual Art Director, New York, New York, 2009: Created a visual identity for The Knights Orchestra for use in web and print media.
- Silk Road Project: RISD, 2008, Worked with a collaborative studio to create an multi-disciplinary storytelling performance in collaboration with Ben Haggarty and the musicians of the Silk Road under the direction of Yo-Yo Ma.
- D.C.Y.F. Mural Project: Providence, RI, 2006: Led a group of students in the creation of a mural at DCYF.
- Collaboration with Yuri Kobayashi: Snowmass, CO, 2008: Created a collaborative sculpture for auction at Anderson Ranch Arts Center in Colorado.
- Performance Project with P.O.I. Stockholm Sweden, 2004: generated paintings as part of a multimedia performance involving musicians and video artists.
- That's Not a Toy Ladder. Climb Up Here. Davison Gallery, Rochester, NY, 2016 (solo show)
- 17th Annual Juried Exhibition: Jan Dempsey Arts Center, Auburn, AL, 2015
- Spring Invitational: Jan Dempsey Arts Center, Auburn, AL, 2015 (Duo show with Nancy Green)
- Build It!: IDEA Museum, Mesa, Arizona, 2015 (invitational group)
- Auburn CityFest: Auburn, Alabama, 2015 (juried)
- Diptych: Jan Dempsey Arts Center, Auburn, AL, 2014 (invitational group)
- Honeywell Center: Wabash, Indiana, 2014 (juried)
- Works on Paper: Upstream Gallery, Kings Ferry, New York, 2013 (juried)
- Elves Dancing on the Water: Curated by Benjamin Woelk, Rochester, NY, 2012
- Design on the ROCs: Hungerford Building, Rochester, NY, 2011
- Response: Axiom Gallery, Rochester, NY, 2011 (collaboration with Hannah Lightbody)
- MFA Thesis Exhibition: Bevier Gallery, Rochester, NY, 2011
- Graduate Student Invitational: Liberty Hill Gallery, Rochester, NY, 2011 (invitational)
- ArtFest at the Museum of the Earth: Ithaca, NY, 2010 (juried)
- Put a 12-Foot Bird On It: Clarence, NY, 2010: Created a mural covering the interior of USA Bird Supply's 2,000 square foot showcase store.
- Paper, Wood & String: Dean’s Gallery at RIT, Rochester, NY, 2010 (juried)
- The 25 Show: Rochester, NY, 2009, “Best in Show” (juried)
- Homes: Cairo Gallery, Seattle, Washington, 2009 (juried)
- Trio: Gallery at Aviv, Rochester, NY, 2009 (invitational)
- Functional Art: Gallery r, Rochester, NY, 2009 (juried)
- Milan International Furniture Fair: Milan, Italy, 2008 (juried by RISD and Lothar Windels)
- RISD Senior Exhibition: Woods Gerry Gallery, 2008
- Fall Exhibition: RISD Woods Gerry Gallery, 2007
- Testimony: Carr Haus Gallery, RISD, 2007 (juried)
- Glory: Red Door Gallery, RISD, 2006 (juried)
- RISD Foundations Exhibition: RISD Foundations Gallery Space, Providence, RI, 2004 (juried)
- NyckelviksSkolan Annual Exhibition: NyckelviksSkolan Gallery, Stockholm, Sweden, 2004 (juried)
- 2-D: drawing, drafting, oil painting, traditional egg tempera, fresco, ground preparation techniques, metal leaﬁng, silk screening, etching, lithography, drypoint & non-toxic intaglio printmaking, wood block & lino-cut print making, letterpress, embossing, paper making.
- 3-D: woodworking, welding, soldering & metalsmithing, sand & ceramic shell casting, bookbinding & traditional paper craft, ceramics (turning, hand building, glazing), basic loom operation, upholstery, felting, plaster casting, stained glass.
- Computer: Mac: Adobe Photoshop & InDesign, MS Word, Graphite, Cobalt.
- Language: conversational Swedish, excellent English, editing & writing
- Roger Tory Peterson Institute of Natural History, Ithaca, NY, 2010: Created and exhibited paintings related to environmental sustainability, natural cycles, and the permanent collection at RTPI.
- The Julia and David White Artists’ Colony / Rhode Island School of Design, San Jose, Costa Rica, 2009: Invited by RISD to be an artist-in-residence and visiting critic for a travel course led by Elinore Hollinshead.
- StoneCry, Atglen, PA, 2008-2009: Collaborated as a designer, builder, and idea-generator for the creation of an artist-residency program which encouraged the integration of faith, philosophy, and studio practice under the direction of Mark Potter.
- I-Park Artist’s Enclave, East Haddam CT, 2008: Created works for the enclaves collection as an Artist-in-Residence in an international & multi-disciplinary program.
- Black Mountain Anthology, 2013: Writing and photo-documentation of Porch exhibition (curated by Tara Rochford and Henrik Soderstrom) published in a two-volume anthology by the North Carolina Arts Council and the United Arts Council
- The New York Times, February 27, 2009: For the Love of Layla: Review of collaboration with the Silk Road Project
- Providence Business News, 2009: RISD graduate designs set for Silk Road performance
- Esquire Magazine, 2008: The Future of Design: Featured with Naushon Hale and Da Sul Kim in an article on design innovation.
- Milan Design Week 2008 by Jacquelyn Davis
- Pantone Canvas, 2015: new work featured by Pantone
- RISD Portfolios, 2013: new work featured by RISD
- The Silk Road Project, Postcards from the Road, 2009: Article and image about multimedia Layla and Majnun design
- RISD Faculty Award for Consistent Excellence: 2008: For a student who demonstrates consistent excellence in their three years in the Department of Furniture Design
- RISD Department of Furniture Design Community Service Award: 2008: This award goes to a student who shows concern for the community and a willingness to serve the needs of others.
- Brooks Fellowship: Anderson Ranch Arts Center, 2008
- Ken Dresser ’61 Scholarship: Rhode Island School of Design, 2005
- Indiana Wesleyan University: Marion, Indiana, 2011-present: Assistant Professor of Art & Design
- Visual Arts Workshop for Children, Auburn Arts Association, Auburn AL, 2015: Designed and led classes for children ages 4-6 and 7-12.
- Rhode Island School of Design Travel Course- Guest Critic: San-Jose, Costa Rica, 2009: Facilitated critiques and studio sessions with undergraduate students as a guest critic and artist-in residence.
- Rochester Institute of Technology: Teaching Assistantship with Prof. Elizabeth Kronfield, 2010-2011: Worked individually with sophomore Fine Arts students to integrate conceptual thinking with formal issues. Helped to facilitate group critiques.
- Rochester Institute of Technology: Alternate Teacher for Professors Bill Wolf, Sarah Sutton, Elizabeth Kronfield, & Eileen Bushnell, 2009-2011: Taught Foundations studios.
- Rhode Island School of Design: Teaching Assistantship with Prof. Elinore Hollinshead: 2005-2008: Worked with Foundations drawing students to integrate conceptual problem solving with technical development. Facilitated group critiques.
- Rhode Island School of Design: Teaching Assistantship with Prof. Joshua Enck, 2008: Worked with Foundations students individually and in group critiques to expand formal, spatial, and structural understanding.
- Rhode Island School of Design: Teaching Assistantship with Prof. Merlin Szasz, 2007: Worked with Foundations students individually and in groups critiques to explore formal issues.
- Rhode Island School of Design: Teaching Assistantship with Prof. Randy Willier, 2006: Worked with Foundation drawing students individually and in group critiques to develop understanding of perspective and formal issues. Helped to facilitate group critiques and led figure drawing sessions.
- Anderson Alley Studios: Rochester, NY, 2004: Teaching Assistant: Helped to foster a creative environment for 12-16 year olds to grow through art therapy.
- Lilly Fellows Program: Indiana Wesleyan University, Summer 2015-Summer 2018: Served as one of two faculty representatives for the University.
- Search Committee: Indiana Wesleyan University, Spring 2012-Spring 2014: Several search committees for the Division of Art.
- Space Planning Committee: Indiana Wesleyan University, Fall 2013-Spring 2014: Met with a committee of faculty and administrators to develop a proposal for the use of Center Hall involving writing and floor plan development.
- Secret Garden set painting: Indiana Wesleyan University, Spring 2013: Guided a team of students to produce the set painting for The Secret Garden.
- Affordable Housing Mural: Marion Indiana, 2012-13: Guided a team of IWU students to create a two-room mural at Affordable Housing’s new community space with input from neighborhood members.
- Art Theme Housing Planning Committee: Indiana Wesleyan University, 2012-13: Met with a committee of faculty and Residence Life leaders to plan and offer housing options for art students to live together and serve the community with their creative work.
- Mikado set painting: Indiana Wesleyan University, Spring 2012: Guided a team of students to produce the set painting for Mikado.
- Director: Beard Arts Center Gallery and Visiting Artist Program, Marion, Indiana, 2012-present
- Executive Director: Gallery r, Rochester, NY 2010-2011: Orchestrated the efforts of RIT students, alumni, and faculty to run the school’s metro showcase. Managed the gallery through a move to a new space.
- Special Events Coordinator: Gallery r, Rochester, NY 2009-2010: Worked with the faculty and administration of RIT and with the local community to organize events, including a benefit auction for Gallery r.
- RISD Academic Planning Committee, Undergraduate Representative: 2007-2008: Represented RISD’s undergraduate student body to a faculty committee on issues of curriculum planning, student exhibitions, and collaborative degree programs with Brown University.
- Porch Collaborative: Rochester, NY, 2010: Co-curated and organized a multi-disciplinary show integrating the work of musicians, writers, and visual artists. The exhibit was coordinated in collaboration with the Black Mountain North Symposium, a national conference celebrating collaborative and experimental creativity.
- Morphology and Synergetics Conference: RISD, 2008: Helped to encourage cross-disciplinary thinking in the student body through the coordination of lectures, discussions, and collaborations.
- Resident Assistant: RISD, 2005-2007: Fostered the growth of community through dorm functions and campus wide events. Created an on-campus gallery in the freshman dorms.
- RISD Student Alliance Representative for the Department of Furniture Design: 2006-2008: Represented the department on issues of exhibition space, funding, and collaboration with other majors.
- Art For Food: RISD, 2005-2008: Led a team of RISD students to coordinate the creation and auctioning of artworks at the Gallery at 17 Peck to benefit Heifer International.
Lectures & Interviews
- Jules Collins Smith Museum of Art, Auburn AL, 2015: Presentation on studio practice.
- The Writer’s Block, Auburn, AL, 2015: Interview with Phineas Dowling for WEGL and The Writer’s Block podcast, produced by the Miller Writing Center.
- Studio 222, Auburn, AL, 2015: Presentation on process and concept development.
- RISD Career Services, Providence, RI, 2009: One of four alumni invited to present work and discuss experiences in the art & design field to current students.
- Yo-Yo Ma’s Silk Road Ensemble, RISD, 2009: Gave an artist’s slide lecture and demonstration to illuminate the conceptual and technical processes behind the set design for Laya & Majnun, which opened at New York’s Lincoln Center in 2009.
- RISD Department of Furniture Design Alumni Presentation, Providence, RI, 2010: Invited to present recent works and critique senior design students in a studio setting.
- RIT Foundations Artist’s Talk, Rochester, NY, 2011: Showed recent works and discussed concepts of obscuring clarity to first year students in a studio setting.
- Harley Alumni Talk, Chatterbox Club, Rochester, NY, 2010: One of five alumni selected to present recent works and philosophy of learning at a fundraising gala.
- RIT Foundations Art History Presentation, Rochester, NY, 2010: Slide lecture on the life, work, and philosophy of Robert Rauschenberg to art students.